Do you want to get started with email marketing? You’ve come to the right place! Let’s not waste any time and get straight into it! If you want to build your audience, create a raving fan base, and convert them into buying customers, you must learn email marketing.
In this beginners guide, you’ll learn:
- What is email marketing?
- Why is email marketing important?
- Getting started with email marketing as a beginner.
- Common myths about email marketing
Without further ado, let’s dive in.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is a digital marketing strategy, where emails are sent directly to your subscribers to nurture and convert them into buying customers. Through your emails, you’ll be able to contact them and form a level of trust with your blog.
They’ll also help you to inform your people what products you have to offer, and the mission and vision of your blog.
How does email marketing work?
Let’s say someone lands on your site, reads your content, and subscribes to your email list. Why do they subscribe? Well, there is only one reason for that.
The value that the person can get out of your content.
After signing up, you can start sending emails to your subscribers who have already opted into your list on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. How often you want to send email communications depends on your preference.
Remember this. Before sending emails to your subscribers consistently, setting expectations is key.
- It helps your subscribers to recognize your message.
- You’ll be able to build a quality relationship with your people.
- Consistency helps your readers to trust you, open, read your emails, and share it with others.
Now that we have a basic understanding of how email marketing works, let’s move on to the next section.
Why is email marketing important?
There are several reasons why email marketing is critical to take your business to the next level.
- It is the most effective and personal way to reach your subscribers.
- You’ll be able to convert your website visitors into supporters and customers for your products or services.
- It is easy to acquire new leads to your business.
- It is a cost-effective channel to reach a new and large audience.
- If done correctly, you’ll generate a higher ROI than traditional marketing.
- Email marketing is the best way to increase customer engagement with your brand.
- You’ll be able to build a loyal fan following through your campaigns.
There is so much value in learning to conduct email marketing the right way. With the rise of social media, this question keeps popping up. It is particularly prevalent among beginners. Please get this doubt out of your mind.
Email marketing is essential to growing your business and with different email service providers, it has become way easier to reach your subscribers and customers than ever before.
- Use These Amazing 10 Pinterest Marketing Strategies to Increase Traffic
- The Ultimate Question: Should You Start A Blog?
- 7 Effective & Easy Strategies To Scheduling Blog Posts
Getting started with email marketing as a beginner
There’s no better time to jump into email marketing than this current situation. People are reading blogs more than ever, and you can reach a vast audience with your message.
As a beginner, email marketing may overwhelm you. Knowing the steps you need to take to get started is crucial for your success.
- Choose an email marketing service provider. I know you are serious about email marketing. When you work with an email marketing service provider, you can deliver messages effectively to your subscribers. Your emails going to be professional, you’ll have tools at your disposal to grow and manage your email list, and tracking capabilities that give you some important stats like who is opening and engaging with your emails.
- Setup your account. Now that you’ve chosen your email marketing service provider, it is important that you setup your account correctly with them. Most email marketing service providers will have their tutorials that’ll walk you through step by step on how to do it efficiently. There’s no doubt that in the initial days, it’ll be a steep learning curve. But trust me, it’s worth it.
- Offer a lead magnet to your ideal subscribers. Offering a lead magnet is critical to growing your email list. Think about this. Why do you want to give your email address to a business? You see real value in their lead magnet and offer. That’s the exact principle works here. If you want someone to opt into your email list, you have to give them value in your lead magnet. The more value your site visitors can see in your lead magnet, the more of them are willing to give you their email address.
- Give your visitors a place to signup. If you don’t have this one, all the steps are useless. So, what do I mean by giving a place? Well, embedding a signup form into your site. All email marketing service providers make it easier to embed a form in your website. Just copy a shortcode and paste it in your post, pages, and wherever you find it appropriate and you are good to go!
- Start gathering new subscribers. Promote your content in your networks. Offer a valuable lead magnet. Give as much value as you can in your content. Give your visitors a solid reason to come back to your site to read more of your awesome work. When you do these consistently, you’ll have more chances of acquiring new subscribers on a regular basis.
Doing these steps in the exact order gives you a strong foundation for getting started in email marketing as a beginner.
- The 30 Days Blogging Challenge You Need to Try!
- Republishing Blog Posts for Remarkable SEO
- Ultimate Tips for Starting a Blog on WordPress
Common myths about email marketing
There are a lot of myths going around the internet surrounding email marketing. As a beginner, you need to understand that these myths are a result of analyzing every email campaign into a single best practice. Here’s a list of common myths floating around the internet about email marketing.
- Don’t use words such as free, save, and discount in your email subject line. In the early days, unsolicited emails from email marketers were a common thing. This prompted email service providers to develop strict spam filters. Now, spam filters have become a lot smarter and sophisticated in identifying spam emails, and even if you use these words, your emails will still be delivered based on sender reputation.
- Unsubscribes are a serious cause for concern. If a reader clicks the unsubscribe button, he/she is helping you to keep your email list clean. They no longer wish to receive emails from you. In my honest opinion, you should thank the ones that are unsubscribing. When you make it easy for your subscribers to unsubscribe from your list, you’ll have the highest chance to increase its quality.
- Short subject lines provide the best result. This is the theory behind this myth. Your inbox is overflowing. You scroll through and you encounter an email with a short subject line. It grabs your attention and you open it. Well, here’s the reality. Your subscribers are going to read your emails based on the sender name rather than an attractive subject line. As long as your subject lines are catchy, It can be short or long.
- Email marketing is dead. When you search in Google for the term email marketing is dead, you’ll have over 200 million results. Despite the naysayers shouting from the top of their lungs, email marketing is still an effective strategy to directly contact your subscribers. Personalizing the message to your subs is an important thing you should always keep in mind. When you do this correctly, your people will look forward to receiving emails from you regularly.
- Short emails are more effective than longer ones. Don’t get me wrong, sending short emails will allow your subscribers to read and get to the point quickly. Yet there is a time and a place for sending short and long emails. If you are sending blog updates, short emails will work best. On the other hand, if you are persuading your audience to complete a particular action like buying a product through your affiliate link, longer email is the way to go.
When you try anything in life for the first time, it isn’t going to be easy. Email marketing isn’t an exception either!
Keep at it, and you’ll surely conquer!
Hari blogs about authentic affiliate marketing, email marketing, blogging, and how you can connect these three to be a successful blogger. When he is not writing, you can find him actively watching tennis.
You can find his blog on gobigwithaffiliatemarketing. You can also check out his Facebook page here.